Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mix and Match

What I'm Reading This Week--

I'm just finishing up The Apostle by Brad Thor. This is a satisfying political thriller involving an American doctor kidnapped in Afghanistan and the special team hired by her rich mother to rescue her. Features Scot Harvath, Thor's series character, who is a former covert counterterrorism operative.

Next book on the list (just became available from the Hold I had placed on it at the library): The Neighbor by Lisa Gardner. I've heard a little buzz about this book so am anxious to get started. The beginning of the synopsis says, "...dangers lurking closer than you think. Because even in the perfect family, you never know what is going on behind closed doors."

What I'm Thinking About--

H1N1 flu and pandemics. We now have a few cases on our university's campus. For the first time today, I used one of those sanitary wipe cloths on my cart handle and my hands at the grocery store. I'm stocking a few extra supplies (about the same as we collected for hurricane season when we lived in Florida) in case we're told to stay home at any point.

I have two airplane trips to take this fall, and two writers' conferences to attend. I suspect social distancing will be in order, frequent hand washing, and use of sanitary wipes or hand sanitizer.

This is not a silly virusphobia. The CDC seems to think older people are less vulnerable than younger folks, but I wouldn't want to innocently transmit the H1N1 any more than I'd want to get it myself.

Pay attention to this thing. The CDC couldn't keep up with the testing, so doctors/hospitals are now only required to test and report the cases that are hospitalized. Those are the confirmed numbers you'll see in the paper. For more information, see the H1N1 flu page at CDC.gov.

My Quote of the Week:

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
----Edmund Burke

This Week's Recommended Blog:

Problogger: 9 Things to Do To Make Sure Your Next Blog Post is Read By More Than Your Mom

The Best Thing I Had to Eat This Week:

The grilled buffalo with barbecue sauce at a lunch buffet at (get this) a little French restaurant in the small town of Berthoud, Colorado.

9 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

That's the odd thing, Patricia--I don't think they have a handle on the virus yet. Good for you for being proactive with the wipes. The schools here have the virus on campus, but so far so good. Once the vaccine comes out, my kids will get it for sure.

Thanks for the blog link....I'm checking it out, now.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

joe doaks-Author said...

Not seen much, nor heard much about the virus, here in NM…or at least I haven’t. But, seems like you’re taking sound precautions based on reasoning and logic…my two favorite action drivers. How did you like the buffalo thing…a lot, I guess, if it was the best thing you ate during the week. Of course, if the other stuff was roots and sprouts, well, maybe buffalo wouldn’t be too bad?

Best Regards, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Elspeth Futcher said...

I'm still enjoying the thought of sitting down in a French restaurant and seeing buffalo on the menu!

Cases of flu are beginning to pop up here but nothing close at present. However, wiping off handles of grocery carts is a good idea.

Thanks for the blog link - perfect timing!

Elspeth

The Old Silly said...

That Burke quote happens to be one of my all time favorites. Hey let us know what you think of The Apostle - I've heard good things about it from other peeps.

Marvin D Wilson

Patricia Stoltey said...

Wow -- lots to answer.

Everyone who mentioned the flu -- it's time to get informed, be as prepared as you would be for getting snowed in for a few days, and become fully informed about the H1N1 flu shot program. If it's truly hitting kids and young adults hardest, parents especially need to know the facts.

Galen, the buffalo dish was excellent. Of course, that's compared to my home cooking which is basic and easy (no French gourmet meals here).

Marvin, I liked The Apostle just fine. I'm a fan of political and action thrillers involving criminals, terrorists, and covert operatives, so there was a lot to keep me reading (even when I should have been doing other things). Good tension, an interesting plot and sub-plot, and lots of good characters. I won't go into the politics of the book here, but will say there are a lot of intriguing references I'm sure you would enjoy.

And Karen, thank you, thank you! That's so nice of you--you've given my day a lovely beginning and I love you for it.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Oops -- Elizabeth and Elspeth -- I'm trying to learn more about what makes a good blog, so I'll be trying to keep track of and pass on any interesting links. If you find any in your own blog-hopping adventures, please let me know.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Enjoyed the eclectic post. Great quote. I’m also a bit worried about the virus because of several flights and conferences coming up.

Helen Ginger said...

I'll be flying in a little over a week. I hadn't even considered getting wipees and sanitary gel, but I think I will after reading your post. Ye Gads, I bet the inside of an airplane is covered in germs. Wait a minute, I bet they won't let you carry a little bottle of sanitary gel on the plane. Ah shoot. Wipees it is.

Helen
Straight From Hel

N A Sharpe said...

Very enjoyable post. I like the synopsis for The Neighbor - sounds great - can't wait to hear your thoughts!

As for the H1N1 - you are wise to be proactive and mindful of this flu. The CDC made an announcement early this week/late last week...recently anyway that they predict 30-50% of those of us in the US will contract the virus this season. Yikes! My sister-in-law is a nurse and she said they are recomending 3 flu shots this year - the regular one and I think the other 2 are H1N1 related...but they aren't available yet. Sounds like its going to be a very rough flu season.

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…