Monday, September 14, 2009

News and Books from the Colorado Gold Conference

I wanted to report on a few of the highlights of the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Conference so the usual Monday Colorado Author feature will return next week. I will, however, be mentioning a few of our authors in this post, just to whet your appetite for more good books to come.

First, I have great news. My RMFW friend Kimberly Savage won the writing contest in the action/thriller category. And David Jessup, a member of our Northern Colorado Writers, won the contest in the mainstream category. Although I didn't know any of the other finalists and winners, I understand the quantity of submissions has grown and the quality of submissions was outstanding. In addition to all the great Colorado talent, we had several out-of-state finalists as well. Kinda takes my breath away to think of all those hard-working writers doing the things they need to do to get published (and a wonderful pool of future subjects for my blog).

On Friday, I served as a registration volunteer for a couple of hours before heading off for workshop duty. I moderated or attended the agents' panel, the editors' panel, and workshops on publicity and promotion, Twitter, personal networking, character development (that's fictional character development, not author's character development), and a wonderful workshop given by literary agent Janet Reid on what authors have to know and do for themselves when they do not have agents.

Friday night I participated in the all-author book sale and signing. In between sessions and at meals, I caught up with old friends, made a bunch of new friends, made a couple of excellent business connections, and finally arrived home totally frazzled.

The people connection is always the best part of a conference, but the second best thing is the exposure to books, books, books. Joe Finder was one of our honored guests this weekend, and I now have a signed copy of his new release, Vanished. Joe is not a Colorado author, but he was so darned likable, I figured the book has to be good.

I brought home a list of new (or at least new to me) Colorado authors for future reference, but I bought a few books as well. First on the list was the newly released Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Anthology, Broken Links, Mended Lives.

Next, I was interested in reading something from Pamela Nowak because she was the chairperson for this year's Colorado Gold conference and I found her to be charming and energetic and efficient. Her new release Is Choices, so that's the one I now own.

A favorite Colorado thriller author, Bonnie Ramthun, recently released her first YA novel, The White Gates, so I took this opportunity to buy a copy, after which I tracked her all the way to the lobby for her signature.

And finally, after listening to Warren Hammond discuss his sci-fi noir kop and ex-kop, I was hooked on the character and the story line. I purchased both books, and was lucky enough to catch Warren in the book room for an impromptu, personal signing.

I know. I'm a big klutzy fan with a book addiction. Can't help it.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were a busy, Energizer bunny at the conference. You make it easy for me to find new books to purchase and read. Thanks!!! Jayne

Elspeth Futcher said...

Sounds like a wonderful conference. Lucky you to have been there!

Elspeth

Patricia Stoltey said...

You're most welcome, Jayne. Now I just need to find the time to read the ones I've purchased. They're stacked up all over the house.

Alan Orloff said...

Thanks for spotlighting some good writers. I'll have to check out some of their books.

And I don't consider this goofing off--it's research!

Janet Lane said...

Nice summary, Pat. Thanks, too, for moderating my Twitter workshop and for sharing your excellent tips about Twitter.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! You're good to volunteer there....I bet they really appreciate it.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Cricket McRae said...

Sorry to have missed it! Next year, though...

Patricia Stoltey said...

Everyone -- yep, had a great time. We now have several excellent conferences in Colorado. No wonder this state is full of published authors.

And Janet, it was my pleasure (even though it was an 8:30 AM session). As you know, Twitter is by far my favorite social media tool, and I have made some of the neatest contacts while "engaging." Your presentation added lots of good info to what I've already figured out. Now I must go to work on my profile background.

Terry Odell said...

I love local conferences. One of my favorites is SleuthFest, organized by the Florida chapter of MWA. They bring in the greatest speakers--Robert B. Parker, Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Robert Crais among others. Yet it's small (they cut off attendance) so you have a chance to interact with everyone.

IF we ever sell our house and move to Colorado, I'm hoping to do more conferences there. With kids in the state, I've managed to find a good excuse to attend a couple already.

N A Sharpe said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful conference. I love conferences - things to learn, people to meet and like you said - you find some great new books!

Nancy, from Realms of Thought…

Helen Ginger said...

Sounds like you made the most of the conference, gathering books, making friends, networking. And you had a great time doing it.

Helen
Straight From Hel

LINDA FAULKNER said...

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for all the tips and info.