Tuesday, October 6, 2009

When We're Ninety-Three

One of the kind reviewers who read The Desert Hedge Murders began her comments with the observation that she'd doubted (at least at first) whether ladies in their eighties would be as energetic and spunky as my ladies of The Florida Flippers travel club. The reviewer noted, however, an example of a real life older mystery writer who was quite active, and agreed that there were some super-active seniors who might be frisky enough in their eighties to have an adventure or two.

Not long after that, I received an e-mail from a close friend who had just read the book and enjoyed it (of course, that's what friends do), but then she added a bit of personal information to explain why she'd gotten such a kick out of some of the elders' adventures. My friend (and her ninety-three year old mom) gave me permission to share this story and these photos with my readers:

"My 93 yr. old mother is the oldest member of the Third Wheelers in Indiana. She attends the yearly gathering with [family]. Two years ago a surprise gathering of 12 three wheelers called to pick Mom up for the ride to the event. She rode in the side car, and they lead the rest of the bikers through town and to the farm outside Hartford City. Her neighbors were standing in their yards wondering what was going on. What a hoot."




"Mother also has a 2008 silver Sky convertible with red interior. She takes her 90 year old neighbor to church and then they go to Briners for lunch. There are two couples that have lunch there also. One Sunday the two husbands walked up to Mom's table and asked her how fast her car goes.... Much better than, 'How are you feeling today?' Many ways to have adventure in the choices we make."















Isn't that a wonderful lesson about enjoying life to the fullest, no matter your age? Doesn't it make you want to get fit and healthy so you can hit the road in your silver convertible or take a ride in the sidecar of a three-wheeler motorcycle...when you're ninety-three? I think my friend's mom sets a wonderful example for the rest of us, and we would do well to adopt her sense of adventure right now.

11 comments:

Natasha said...

When I am 93, I sure how I can be like your friend's mother.
My grandfather was having fun till his very end (at 94), so that may just be possible.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, this is GREAT! We had a family friend (a friend of my great grandmother who we adopted, as she had no children) who bowled until she was 103--all 97 pounds of her. I love seeing stories like this!

Only 60 years Young Marv said...

Go Grams! When I grow up I wanna be just like her!

The Old Silly

Elspeth Futcher said...

How wonderful. Adventures are good at any age, and you're never too old to start. Thanks for sharing this story, Patricia.

Elspeth

Terry Odell said...

I didn't have a problem with the age demographic - there are certainly plenty of active seniors, and it makes sense they'd flock together.

What fries my won tons is when someone writes, "an elderly woman, probably in her mid-to-late fifties"

Give me a break!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

What a great story! That's exactly what I want to be like.

I've gotten the same comments about my octogenarian sleuth, Myrtle. But my great-aunt was water skiing at 70 and my grandmother was active into her 90s. I just don't see the issue...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Anonymous said...

Mother is thrilled to see herself on your blog. So many adventures to experience whatever age we might attain.
Your friend Jayne and her 93yr. young mother, Margaret.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Loved the post. Living in Florida, I see many very active elderly people who seem to enjoy life to the fullest and have no intention of slowing down just because of their age. I aspire to be just like them.

Anonymous said...

This is great. I love that I have lots of adventures to look forward to as I "mature". :)

I hope to be doing as much as your friend's mother when I'm 93!

Paul D Brazill said...

Top anecdote. I thought The Florida Flippers were great! Very impressed by the way you handled the whole crew! Will they have a spin off story?

Angela said...

Wow, so great--thanks for posting these pictures!