Wednesday, April 7, 2010

F is for Federal Bureau of Investigation

If you write mysteries, suspense, or thrillers, the first thing I'd like you to do is mark Wednesday, April 14th, on your calendar to check the post I'm contributing on Internet resources for crime writers to The Blood-Red Pencil blog.

One of the sources I include (and have used quite often since I like to plunk an FBI agent or two into my stories) is the website for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Is your book about white collar crime? There's a page for that.

Need the available statistics on the most famous bad guys on the planet or just want to stare at their mug shots (you know, just in case you run into a suspicious looking character at the mall)? There are enough bad guys pictured to keep you busy for hours.

Information on cybercrimes--new scams and hoaxes? The FBI puts the warnings here.

What if you're writing a historical novel and need background on Bonnie and Clyde? There are photos and documents in the archives.

Even if you don't write anything but blog posts or notes in your personal journal, there are things on the FBI website that you might find fascinating. The website is there to educate and inform. There's even a kid's page.

And don't forget to watch for my post on The Blood-Red Pencil on April 14th.

13 comments:

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the info and link--and for the heads up about your post next week.
Donna Volkenannt

Ann Elle Altman said...

That sounds like an interesting blog you're going to be doing. I have never even checked out their website.

ann

Carol Kilgore said...

Most city police departments have websites, too, where you can check out how the department is structured.

Ann said...

Lots of interesting information. I must say I am learning loads with this Challenge!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Most Interesting , I have of course heard of the FBI, loved the post,

Yvonne.

Unknown said...

More good information. Why does the web seem like a Mobius Strip you can't get untangled from? Or, is it a vacuum cleaner?

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Never thought about checking out that website. I'm bookmarking it because I have a feeling it could come in handy with my latest WIP. Thanks for the idea.

Jan said...

Interesting....

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds interesting. I'll mark my calendar. That's neat that they have a kid's page too.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds fascinating - I'll definitely have to check it out - thanks!

Lisa said...

Neat post! I love crime stories and love the FBI. I'm going to go check out some of those links now. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog and link. One more source to ferret out juicy tidbits for my next novel. I remember you had an FBI agent in Desert Hedge Murders. Did you research the FBI site while writin gthe book?

Stephen Tremp

Ella said...

Wow, thanks for the info; I look forward to your
post. I will mark my calender.