Saturday, February 23, 2013

Five Reasons Writing Isn't Always Fun

Yes, there's a downside to being a writer:

1.  When you have a manuscript that qualifies as a neverending story, not because of its length but because you can't stop rewriting or revising the stupid thing.

2.  When friends and relatives keep asking if you'll have a new book coming out soon...and you don't.

3.  When you have so many ideas that you can't decide what to write next...and often end up with a bunch of unfinished projects as a result.

4.  When you need to promote a book...which sometimes requires you to dress professionally and go out in public and act like you know what you're doing.

5.  When no one who really knows you takes your little writing hobby seriously...even the cat. Especially the cat.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat - Oh, you hit the nail on the head!! These are soooo true. Especially the last one. One of my pet peevese is when I tell people I'm a writer and they ask, 'But what do you really do?' *sigh*

Laura Eno said...

I especially have trouble with #3 and #5. Haven't tried #4 yet, as no one will let me go out in my pjs.

Gary said...

You nailed it! Those are the reasons I don't consider myself a writer. Writing a novel was just another item on my bucket list that I managed to check off.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Margot -- We need a fun answer to that question. I'll claim to be a chocolate taster.

Laura, my husband already watches me to make sure I don't leave the house in my baggy sweatpants and torn flannel shirt. :D

I like your approach, Gary. But I have an addictive personality and once I finished one novel, I had to write another one...and another one...and more. I don't think I can stop now.

Alana White said...

Argh! Here's number 6: you have 3-4 drafts of "the next book" and now you have to wade though them, culling here and pulling out your hair there....

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Katie-Kitten not taking you serious? Need to have a chat with that cat.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Alana, I have one of those on my computer as well. It's depressing.

Alex, she thinks I'm her play companion and I'm merely goofing off if I sit down at my computer.

Unknown said...

Oh the publishing question-- I cringe in anticipation of that one!

J.A. Kazimer said...

Yep. Yep. Yep. You hit them all.

Murees Dupè said...

You are so right! I end up rewriting my book so much that in the end I hate my book and I know all about how people do not take one's writing very seriously. Great post.

liz young said...

Oh I am so glad other people get their books. I am ending a rewrite and I'm bored to tears. Mind you, I had an idea this morning asI woke up that might change the last few chapters and end on a high note, so maybe not all is lost.