Saturday, February 6, 2010

Bits and Pieces

Jan Morrison's Friday Challenge

See yesterday's post for the link to Jan's Crazy Jane blog and her Friday challenge. I took my camera along on my short walk and brought back proof that spring is just around the corner, after a few more snows, of course. Here's what I found:


I think these are tulips, although I know there are daffodils and crocuses in the same flower bed. It's not unusual to see the tulips up and blooming early in Northern Colorado and then have to watch them slowly get buried by a big spring snow. They're tough, though, and will spring right back if the snow is brushed away.


Countdown to Conference Contest at Northern Colorado Writers

In honor of the upcoming conference (March 26-27) and the wonderful speakers and presenters who will be there, Director Kerrie Flanagan is holding a Countdown to Conference Contest. Drop by the Northern Colorado Writers website to enter. This week's prize is a copy of Three Shirt Deal by our opening keynote speaker, Stephen J. Cannell.

While you're there, check out the conference schedule, peruse the list of visiting agents and editors, and think about joining us at the Fort Collins Hilton for an informative and fun event.


The Second Mystery/Thriller Book Giveway

I've finally selected all the books for my next giveaway. I'll post the list of titles and the entry rules tomorrow. I think you'll like this one.


My Thoughts on Multi-Tasking

Don't.

Multi-tasking wastes time and energy. It does not lead to quality output.

Try focused serial-tasking instead. Set priorities. Make a schedule. Tackle one task at a time.


Stephen Tremp's Review of The Desert Hedge Murders at Breakthrough Blogs

Blogging friend Stephen Tremp, author of the thriller novel Breakthrough, was kind enough to read and review my second Sylvia and Willie mystery. Book reviews are not as easy as they look, and I have a lot of respect for those who write them. Many thanks to Stephen for posting this review on his blog and for spreading the word.


While My Manuscript is Resting

The first draft of my suspense novel is doing deep-breathing exercises in preparation for my brutal attack on its flaws during the revision and self-editing phase.

Meanwhile, I'm working on blog posts, putting together the 90-minute seminar on social media for Northern Colorado Writers, and working my way through a very long To Do List (one task at a time).

3 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

I thought Stephen did a great job on the review. I agree - it's a difficult skill.

Love to see a sign of spring somewhere. We have a beautiful winter day - sunny & crisp - but I still want spring to come!

Clementine said...

Wow! I can't believe you have tulips! We're buried out here. I don't think I'll see the ground anytime soon. On a side note, my hubby and I watched some old VHS tapes of his mom's. Her family moved from Minnesota to Colorado Springs in the mid 1940's. I couldn't believe how Pikes Peak looked back then. And we saw some great shots of Manitou Springs too. Ya'll sure do have some gorgeous country out there!

Terry Odell said...

I'm exhausted just reading this. We're in the midst of packing to move, so everything's crazy. We're still waiting on the appraisal, but are being optimistic. With luck, maybe I'll see you at the conference.

We had broccoli and cauliflower from our garden for dinner Saturday night.