Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Extra Cranky Today

I couldn't resist following up on yesterday's post about my late paper. Turns out it never arrived. I hopped out of bed this morning with high hopes. After all, it was just a transition problem with first-day production. The paper will now be printed in Denver, an hour away from my town. I suppose we'll have a late paper or no paper on snow days. I'd best get used to interruptions.

But what could possibly go wrong on this beautiful May day on the Front Range? The sun is shining. It's only a tiny bit breezy. Production problems should have been worked out yesterday.

I checked the driveway at 7:16 AM. No paper. I went outside, just like yesterday, and checked the bushes and inside the fence. Nope.

This time I called the circulation hot line and gave all the wrong answers to the automated questions. Four minutes later, in spite of the high volume of calls the line was experiencing (or so the automated voice told me), I was connected to a real person. She graciously gave me credit for two days of no delivery and filed a "delivery issue" complaint.

What did I do while I drank my morning coffee? I sat in front of the TV and watched a recorded Brothers and Sisters from three week ago. It's the one where Julia announces she's moving to Seattle and Kitty's husband realizes Kitty has been having an emotional affair. I started my morning crying through forty-five minutes of prime time soap opera.

I switched to one of the financial channels to check the markets. The DOW was down. Timothy Geithner was talking about TARP and community banks. I turned off the television and sat down to write my blog. When I was almost finished, a message flashed at the bottom of the screen. Blogger could not connect to save my post. It told me saving and publishing might fail. Good grief, was there a full moon last night?

9 comments:

Elle Parker said...

I would actually enjoy starting my day with prime time TV - I might have to see if I can arrange that!

Elle Parker
http://elleparkerbooks.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Oh, paper delivery and garbage pick-up are two things that will drive me crazy all day if they're late! I'm with you on that.

Now Twitter is down...looks like it's scheduled maintenance, but still...

Elizabeth
http://www.mysterywritingismurder.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

LOL - Another "One of those days," eh? Here's hoping it doesn't turn into "one of those weeks" for you. :)

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

There are those days when the best thing to do is go back to bed and start all over again - in the afternoon!:)

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

N A Sharpe said...

Wow, I'm proud of you. Rolling with the punches on another day of interrupted ritual. I'd be climbing walls, lol. I do like the idea of Brothers and Sisters with my morning coffee though! (Grin) Hmmm... I really like that idea!

NA Sharpe
http://nasharpe.blogspot.com

Jina Bacarr said...

I think it's so cool how you've turned your day-to-day experiences into a running story. I feel like I'm sitting down and having a morning cup of coffee with you...sans newspaper, of course.

Jina

http://tinyurl.com/BerlinSexDiary

Anonymous said...

Ah! I feel you on those frustrating days. Sometimes, don't you wish you could go back to bed and start over??

Helen Ginger said...

What a start to your day, Patricia!

Keep in mind, the newspaper probably is feeling worse. Circulation is in decline and here they made a big goof that got a lot of subscribers mad. Probably the last thing they wanted.

Hope things perk up and go better for you.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Brees said...

I gave up on newspapers - Except for the NY Times, which is a complete library (the Sunday edition).