Friday, May 22, 2009

Ten Things I Don't Love

A couple of days ago, I blogged about ten things I love. That one was easy. Today I'll let you in on the rest of the story. I have another side. Yes, it's true, there are things in this world I don't care for. Side note: the really bad stuff would go on a list of Things I Hate, so don't expect to see them here.

1. I don't love skunks. I don't think I need to explain that.

2. Black walnuts. The smell and taste of a black walnut is just as repulsive to me as skunk odor. If I accidentally put even a small piece of black walnut in my mouth, I can't swallow it.

3. One-way political or ideological rants, especially when unexpectedly dumped on a captive audience at a conference or concert where I've paid for my own ticket or registration fee to be entertained or educated according to advertised content.

4. Novels about crimes against children.

5. Jazz. I just don't get it.

6. The combination of ham salad and corn fritters. You get a story with this one. I went to a small town grade school with a cafeteria that served hot lunches. Every once in a while, the cooks served up globs of ham salad made with more mayonnaise than ham, and greasy corn fritters. It made me sick once, and I could never eat it again. I feel a surge of acid indigestion just thinking about it.

7. The mess in my workspace. I've subscribed to a blog called zen habits that I hope will straighten me out. I've removed some of the paper from my computer table, and I feel better already. . . as long as I don't let my glance wander over to the nearby desk.

8. Mailing anything to Canada. In case you didn't know this, mail and packages from the U.S to Canada and vice versa take forever to reach their destinations. Priority mail is apparently not an option. I hate this. Snail Express would get it there faster.

9. Baseball. Except for the beer and hot dogs. I like that part.

10. News media. I believe newscasters live in and broadcast from an alternate universe.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha -- My favorite is #5. I like that you can admit you just don't get it. I kinda feel that way about art, but I usually refrain from saying it out loud because people are usually offended or disgusted. But isn't that what makes us all individuals? Certain things rock our boat, others don't?

Anonymous said...

LOL - good and fun idea for a post. Although I happen to love jazz and baseball - but each to her own (smile).

The Old Silly from Free Spirit Blog

joe doaks-Author said...

Now, WAIT JUST A MINUTE! Who could NOT love a skunk. Used to be one myself. They can be warm and cuddly. They have a great color scheme. And those cute little eyes and that pointy little black nose. They're just cute, cute, cute. 'Course, kinda gotta keep them in a glass box, but, other than that...

Best Regards, Galen
http://www.galenkindley.com

N A Sharpe said...

Fun idea for a post to get to know you better. I like it!

Nancy
http://nasharpe.blogspot.com

Elle Parker said...

This is a fun and charming post, and I enjoyed it very much. I don't get jazz, either, but I like skunks. They're cute, and if the smell is faint (and not on my dog) it takes me back to hot summer nights of my childhood.

Elle Parker
http://elleparkerbooks.blogspot.com/

Jina Bacarr said...

Honest, solid opinions. I like that you also included the "why you don't like" these items. Makes it fun.

Jina

http://tinyurl.com/BerlinSexDiary

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Enjoyed the post. I have the workspace issue - will have to check out the Zen site.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

Helen Ginger said...

I hadn't thought about black walnuts in ages! I've never actually eaten one, but somebody in my family used to make a black walnut cake that was out of this world. I'm going to call my sister and see who it was, not that I would know how to even get black walnuts.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Dani said...

I'm glad you mentioned that about black walnuts, because I was thinking about planting some nut trees, and they're one of the few that grow in my area. I'll have to try one first, I guess. I thought they were like regular walnuts... only black. Live and learn. LOL.

Off to the Zen site, too.

Don't forget to sign up for your crit!

Dani
http://twitter.com/blogbooktours

Kren Brees said...

4,5, and 10 ring my chimes as well.