One of my newest blogger friends, Mason Canyon of Thoughts in Progress, was kind enough to award me my second Honest Scrap Award "for bloggers who put their hearts on display as they write from the depths of their souls." Mason passes on the the words of the person who bestowed the honor on her: "Don't worry if you have received it before. Like the Oscars, they make good bookends."
In the past, this award was intended to be passed on to ten other blogs. Mason has removed that requirement from her award so passing it on is optional. She also said the award did not need to be linked back to her, the second traditional condition for accepting the blog. She did, however, ask that the third condition be met: post 10 interesting things about myself.
Congratulations, Mason, for receiving this award and thank you very much for including me in your list of recipients. Here is my list of "interesting" things:
1. I love country music. My favorite country song is Friends in Low Places (Garth Brooks)
2. I also love rock opera and most of the musicals written for the stage. My favorite rock opera is Jesus Christ Superstar (and I already have tickets for the road performance coming to Northern Colorado in April). When I was a kid, my St. Louis aunt got tickets for my mom and me for the outdoor Municipal Opera performances at least once a year. The one I loved best was South Pacific.
3. I love anything by Gershwin. My all time favorite is Concerto in F. Second is An American in Paris.
4. I'm an American Idol superfan. Also a big fan of So You Think You Can Dance. I am in awe of the incredible talent of these young performers, especially since I do not sing or dance where other humans might see or hear me.
5. I worked as a volunteer at a raptor recovery center for a few months and discovered I was very afraid of the large eagles, hawks, owls, and vultures. That surprised me because I think they are beautiful and fascinating to watch (from a distance).
6. One of my favorite foods is pizza. We rarely order take-out anymore. I fix homemade pizza with the little Jiffy pizza crust mix, Contadina sauce, and various toppings depending on what I have on hand. When we lived in France, we often went to a small pizza restaurant that had 100 individual pizza choices on the menu. My husband always ordered the one with avocado and garlic. I always chose the one with merguez sausage.
7. I don't have a pet and haven't had one since 1985. My last pet was a pug named Buster. He was emotionally needy and he seemed to shed all year round.
8. I am growing increasingly annoyed at the number of credit card offers and other junk mail we receive that have our names and addresses stamped all over the pages. Because of identity theft risks, I feel those papers need to be shredded. So aggravating!
9. I've always wanted to take a hot air balloon ride but every time I get the chance, I chicken out.
10. I graduated high school in 1960, so my class will be celebrating its 50th reunion this year. Time sure flies when you're having fun.
Thanks again to Mason for giving me the opportunity to spill more of my secrets. I reserve the right to pass on the award at a later time.