Friday, April 8, 2011

G is for Gourdon, France

My husband and I lived in the South of France for a couple of years in the mid-80s. You'll hear more about that later in the alphabet.

Today's post is about my favorite perched village ,located well inland from the Mediterranean, roughly north and west of Nice in the Alpes-Maritime of Provence. Gourdon (and you might want to click on that link for sure because it's a great photo of the village) is not all that easy to find, but the drive through the Gorges du Loup is incredibly beautiful and the view of the village from a distance is stunning. The chateau de Gourdon is old, very old. Pre-13th century old.

After parking in a visitor lot and walking up the hill to enter the village, the tourist is awed by the view out over the countryside of vineyards, olive groves, and flowers grown for perfumes. This area of France, which includes Grasse, is perfume country. It's not unusual to see fields of flowers, especially lavender, in the season. The perfume factories and showrooms are interesting places to visit....unless you have allergies or asthma.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat - Oohh, sounds like a wonderful, wonderful place! Thanks for sharing :-).

Jan Morrison said...

oooh, I feel an E for envy and J for jealousy coming on. What a lovely place and I adore lavender.
Jan Morrison

Paula Martin said...

I love Provence and those mountain-clinging villages are stunning. My favourites are Gordes and Roussillon. Love Avignon, Arles and Nimes too.
http://paulamartinpotpourri.blogspot.com

Heidi W said...

That is a fabulous photo of Gourdon. Interested to here more about your time in France.

I lived there for awhile too--in another G--Grenoble.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Patricia .. it's certainly an area of France I'm longing to visit sometime soon .. the photos really show the area off .. beautiful - thank you .. no wonder you enjoyed your stay there.

Cheers Hilary

Ann said...

Spectacular spot. France is beautiful. My sister has a flat in Frejus. Next time I will make a trip to Gourdon.

Elspeth Futcher said...

I can actually taste jealousy's tang on my tongue as I"m writing this. It looks absolutely beautiful, Pat and if it had been me, I fear I'd have never come back.

Luana Krause said...

My dream is to visit France. It looks so beautiful!

Gail M Baugniet - Author said...

How lovely to hear of lavender fields and perfume factories in France.