Monday, March 31, 2014

I'm Going to ramble on about authors and books for the A to Z Challenge

I decided to focus on my favorite things this year. The challenge will be all about reading, establishing the reading habit, reading more than one genre, giving new authors a chance, and anything else I can think of related to books and the folks who write them.

Deciding to write books was the direct result of my reading obsession. I'm not one of those who declared I could do it better than anyone else. I'm one of the ones who admired writers so much that I wanted to see if I could do it too. Could I create interesting characters? Could I plot a good mystery and put all the clues and red herrings in the right places. Could I write a page turner--one of those books that moves so fast a reader can knock it off in one day?

Who knows what I'll try next. My work in process has a serial killer in it, but one who is very different from the norm.

I might like to try a romance next. Or maybe a romantic thriller.

I love reading dystopian novels. Could I write one of those and find a twist that's different from all the rest?

I'm not a good example for a young/serious writer to follow, that's for sure. Genre hopping is not the best way to establish your audience. And binge writing (my unfortunate process) is not the best way for most writers to get a lot of work done. The only good example I can set is how to have fun writing and working with writers. The fact that I'm retired and can use my time in any way I want is pretty cool.

So I hope you'll be a frequent visitor this month when I'll be posting daily (except most Sundays) and will still entertain a couple of amazing guest authors (mystery writer Marilyn Meredith will be here next Thursday so I'll have two posts that day, one for Marilyn and one for the letter "I").

I'll be making a serious effort to get through the list of A to Z participants, make new friends, and discover new blogs to read. One thing is for sure. If you stop by my place, I'll make a return visit within a day or two. Make sure your profile has a good link to your blog, or put the link to your blog in your comment.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a great theme!
And let's hear it for us binge writers.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Write about what you enjoy, Patricia!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Yay, binge writers! Thanks Alex.

That's what I thought, Diane. These posts might just motivate me to get caught up on my miles-long To Be Read List.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Patricia .. sounds a great idea - cheers Hilary

Unknown said...

I love reading! This sounds like a series I will enjoy dropping in on!

Anonymous said...

Pat - Sounds like a terrific plan. I look forward to reading what you have for us, and there's nothing wrong with trying different kinds of writing. At all.

mooderino said...

Any writer who gets drafts completed is a good role model, I think.

mood
Moody Writing

Elle Carter Neal said...

I'm joining in :-) The only theme I have for the month is "Anything and everything". I found the A-Z idea quite inspiring and came up with most of the subjects for each letter within a day or two of accepting the challenge. Now for those stubborn letters... Should be fun ;-)

Elle

Anonymous said...

Hi, Patricia. Like you, I'm taking this challenge on. I'm looking forward to reading your posts. :)

Laura
For the Love of Storytelling