Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Blogging and Getting Educated in Colorado


There's a lot of blogging going around my part of the country.

My Next Guest

My guest blogger for tomorrow is Northern Colorado Writers member, essayist, and short story author Katherine Valdez who compares writing to getting out there on the floor at Rollerland (especially if you haven't been on skates for a long time). Her post is called "Cross-Training for Writers."


The Writing Bug

This is the Northern Colorado Writers blog. Today's post by Susan is called "So What's Your Recipe?" Do you follow a recipe when you cook? How about following the "rules" when you write. I used to. Now I don't bother. Boogie over there and leave a comment because Susan would love to know how you cook your books.

Hmmm. That doesn't sound right...but you know what I mean.


Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers Blog

If you haven't been following the new RMFW Blog (posts Monday through Friday with a variety of regular contributors and guest bloggers), you might want to check it out.

Today, Nicole Disney, debut author of contemporary lesbian fiction novel, Dissonance in A Minor, talks about writing what you know versus writing what you wish you knew.

Yesterday Julie Kazimer, author of Curses! A F**ked-Up Fairy Tale and Froggy Style,  gave us "The Perfect Writerly Advice."

And on Monday, contemporary and paranormal romance author Katriena Knights wrote about "Learning from Television: The Art of Predictability."


Writing from the Peak

NCW and RMFW are not the only games in town. Pikes Peak Writers based in Colorado Springs also has a blog called Writing from the Peak.

Check out Aaron Michael Ritchey's "How to Survive the Bloodshed and Carnage of a Bad Critique" and Robin Widmar's "What's in a Name?"


Do You Live in a Writer-Friendly State?

The above three organizations and blogs are just a sampling of the excellent opportunities in Colorado for writer education and conferences, networking, and retreats. What's going on where you live?

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We don't have very many writing organizations in our state.
And it's been about ten years since I was on skates of any kind.

Unknown said...

Oh I used to love to roller skate when I was young. My friends and I would choreograph entire shows and make our parents watch us. Sigh-- memories.

We DO have great writers in Colorado. As a rep from the Western Slope, I can say they truly extend state-wide.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Alex, it's been more like 40 years for me. It wasn't pretty back then either.

Hi, Julie. The last time I was on skates, it was on ice. I fell once and hit my head, and fell a second time on my knees. That's when I hung up my skates forever.

Anonymous said...

Pat - Thanks for sharing what's going on in Colorado (and what's coming up on your blog). You're very fortunate to live in a writer-friendly state. I'm looking forward to Katherine's post tomorrow. Writing and roller skating...hmmm.....now that's an interesting comparison